Description of TURN
The Utility Reform Network is California’s leading statewide advocate for electric, gas, and phone customers of utility companies regulated by the state’s Public Utilities Commission. TURN makes use of legal proceedings, policy advocacy, and grassroots organizing to promote affordable utility bills, sustainable energy policies, and regulation of the utility industry in the public interest.
TURN is seeking a Southern California Organizing and Advocacy Coordinator who will lead our organizing expansion in the San Gabriel Valley and expand our consumer advocacy capacity through informed response and crisis management. The Organizer and Advocacy Coordinator will identify, engage and support cross issue partner organizations in developing an allied coalition focused on advancing energy equity and communications justice. TURN’s organizing strategy is a grass-tops mobilizing strategy that seeks to educate, engage and activate base building organizations whose members are disproportionately impacted by legislative and regulatory policy in the area of energy and telecommunications. The Organizing and Advocacy Coordinator will serve as a resource, and oversee the professional development of, and issue resolution of our members and partners.
Our ideal candidate has 3–5 years of experience organizing within base building organizations with specific expertise in building cross sector allied coalitions and advancing strategic campaigns. In addition the ideal candidate will have 3–5 years customer service experience with strong communication and exceptional problem solving skills. Bilingual Spanish and English fluency strongly preferred.
Ultimately, the role of the Organizing and Advocacy Coordinator is to develop a robust and sustainable coalition of advocates to engage in energy and telecommunication issues that advance communications and energy justice while supporting member and partner education and complaint resolution of issues arising from TURN’s consumer hotline, online complaint system and through the US mail.
Working under the direction of the Organizing Director, the Organizing and Advocacy Coordinator is responsible for the initial recruitment of partners and coalition members, facilitating leadership development and education, co-leading issue identification, power analysis, and campaign strategy development, and will support community leaders with campaign implementation and expanding TURN’s complaint resolution capacity.
Areas of Responsibility – Organizing (50%)
Organizing and Advocacy
- Build support for an energy and communications justice movement that recognizes the interdependence of people, policies, and basic needs of energy and communications for all Californians.
- Oversee the development of a Southern California coalition as they work to shape legislative and regulatory policy to advance energy and telecommunications justice.
- Strengthen and expand TURN’s working relationships with community-based organizations, public sector partners and decision makers throughout California.
- Lead the co-creation of organizing plans, campaign development and strategies to advance our work in concert with coalition partners
- Develop and present trainings on energy and communications justice, popular education, know your rights and legislative process to partner organizations, allies and coalition members.
- Provide coalition leaders with support to cut issues, conduct power analysis, develop campaigns.
- Maintain a working knowledge of how public policy is created and shaped at the legislative and regulatory level of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).
Communications, Marketing, and Public Relations
- Maintains a consistent presence in the targeted community, developing and maintaining relationships with key organizations, grassroots leaders, and decision-makers.
- Supports coalition members with communication directed at decision-makers and the media.
- Identifies noteworthy stories from the field and assists with story development.
- Regularly provide reports to staff and the Board of Directors on community organizing strategies and campaigns; ensuring their support of resident led initiatives.
- Provide and post content of organizing activities to social media such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as well as for newsletters and action alerts using Salsa and Salesforce
Areas of Responsibility – Consumer Advocacy (50%)
- Acquire knowledge of TURN issue areas and related regulatory policy
- Respond to member and partner issues received by phone, e-mail and U.S. mail
- Process orders, forms, applications, and requests from partners
- Ensure satisfaction and provide professional support to members and partners
Reporting Metrix and Reporting
- Document, input and maintain consumer complaints in Salesforce database
- Prepare written and Salesforce driven reports on consumer and partner trends
- Create, review and revise consumer FAQ’s sheets to support outreach and education
- Provide occasional support for and inform TURN’s consumer hotline as needed
- Utilize the organization’s Salesforce database in complete support of coalition and campaign supporter, maintaining complete records of residents involved and activities conducted.
- Maintain organized documentation of agendas, fliers, event notes, training materials and other collateral
- Customer service experience
- Hands-on experience developing and coordinating successful campaigns
- Advanced organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple assignments
- Cultural competency and demonstrated awareness of the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Strong problem resolution skills
- Strong communication skills
- Passion and commitment to issues of equity and justice
- Ability to build authentic relationships with diverse populations
- At least 5 years of experience in grassroots organizing
- Bilingual Spanish-English verbal skills
- A mature activist orientation that focuses upon building organizations, developing leadership, and mounting successful campaigns for change
- Ability to hold others accountable
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to lead teams to achieve specified outcomes
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Strong writing and grammar skills.
- Able to verbally communicate clearly and professionally.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products and relational database software.
- Strong computer technology skills including Microsoft Office proficiency
- Ability to maintain detailed records
- Self-motivated independent worker
Reporting and Supervision
The Organizing and Advocacy Coordinator reports to the Organizing Director and Director and will eventually work out of an office located in the San Gabriel Valley managed by TURN’s Director of Strategic Initiatives. Until the COVID-19 crisis is resolved, this position will require working from home.
TURN offers a generous employee compensation package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, a cafeteria plan, and a 401K Plan with employer contribution.
Salary Range: $65,000–$75,000 based on experience
Statement of Diversity and Inclusion
The Utility Reform Network (TURN) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Black, Indigenous and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply as well as candidates who contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.