Join Our Team
Training and Advocacy Coordinator
The Utility Reform Network (TURN) is California’s leading statewide advocate for electric, gas, and phone customers of utility companies regulated by the state’s Public Utilities Commission. TURN makes use of legal proceedings, policy advocacy, and grassroots organizing to promote affordable utility bills, sustainable energy policies, and regulation of the utility industry in the public interest.
We are looking for a Training and Advocacy Coordinator to lead our Housing Energy & Action Leadership (HEAL) project and to advance our consumer advocacy work through developing and hosting creative training events, educational programming and being a responsive informant and crisis manager to our members and partners.
Our ideal candidate has experience with various training methods, including on-the-job coaching, mentorship programs and e-learning. Experience with different projects, such as management training and soft-skills development, is also essential.
Ultimately, the role of the Training and Advocacy Coordinator is to be a resource to; and oversee the professional development of; and issue resolution of our members and partners.
Working in conjunction with TURN’s Organizing Director and Director of Strategic Initiative’s, the Training and Advocacy Coordinator is responsible for managing, developing, coordinating and conducting training programs for TURN’s HEAL initiative and advocacy platforms. The Training and Advocacy Coordinator will also support member and partner education and complaint resolutions that arise through TURN’s consumer hotline, online complaint system and through US mail.
Areas of Responsibility – Training Development and Coordination (50%)
- Organize, design, develop or source training programs
- Develop training aids such as manuals and handbooks
- Research and recommend new training methods, like gamification
- Identify training programs to address competency gaps
- Partner with stakeholders and liaise with experts regarding instructional design
- Evaluate and make recommendations on training materials and methodology
Training and Coordination
- Present training programs using recognized training techniques and tools
- Host train-the-trainer sessions for partners
- Gather feedback from trainers and trainees after each educational session
- Coordinate off-site training activities including venue, materials and equipment
- Manage and maintain training equipment
- Market trainings and create necessary collateral for dissemination
- Maintain updated curriculum database and training records
Metrix and Reporting
- Design and apply assessment tools to measure training effectiveness
- Track and report on training outcomes
- Provide feedback to program participants and management
Areas of Responsibility – Consumer Advocacy (50%)
- Acquire knowledge of TURN issue areas and related regulatory policy
- Respond to member and partner issues received by phone, e-mail and U.S. mail
- Process orders, forms, applications, and requests from partners
- Ensure satisfaction and provide professional support to members and partners
- Document, input and maintain consumer complaints in Salesforce database
- Prepare written and Salesforce driven reports on consumer and partner trends
- Create, review and revise consumer FAQ’s sheets to support outreach and education
- Experience as a Training Coordinator, Trainer, Training Facilitator or similar role
- Hands-on experience coordinating multiple training events in a professional setting
- Knowledge of instructional design theory and implementation
- Adequate knowledge of learning management systems and web delivery tools
- Proven ability to complete full training cycle (assess needs, plan, develop, coordinate, monitor and evaluate)
- Familiarity with traditional and modern job training methods and techniques
- Advanced organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple assignments
- Ability to translate complex problems and concepts in training
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Experience with e-learning platforms
- Customer service experience
- Strong problem resolution skills
- Strong communication skills
- MS Office proficiency
- Bilingual Spanish-English verbal skills a plus
Reporting and Supervision
The Training and Advocacy Coordinator reports to the Organizing Director.
TURN offers a generous employee compensation package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, a cafeteria plan, and a 401K Plan with employer contribution.
Salary Range: $65,000–$75,000 based on experience
Statement of Diversity and Inclusion
The Utility Reform Network (TURN) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply as well as candidates who contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
How to apply: Please provide a letter of interest, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Please submit your application package by Friday, December 6, 2019. Position will remain open until filled.